Dr. Sternberg currently holds the Inaugural Andrew Weil Chair for Research in Integrative Medicine and is Research Director for the Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona at Tucson. She is the Founding Director of the UArizona Institute on Place, Wellbeing & Performance, Associate Director for Research of UArizona’s Innovations in Healthy Aging, and holds joint appointments at UArizona as Professor of Medicine and Psychology, Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture, and Nutritional Sciences and Wellness.
Prior to joining UA, Dr. Sternberg:
- Served for 26 years in the National Institutes of Health Intramural Research Program as Senior Scientist and Section Chief of Neuroendocrine Immunology and Behavior at the National Institute of Mental Health;
- Was Director of the Integrative Neural Immune Program, NIMH/NIH; Co-Chair of the NIH Intramural Program on Research on Women’s Health;
- Chaired the Behavioral Investigators’ Review Panel Sub-Committee of the NIH Central Tenure Committee
- Her popular books Healing Spaces: The Science of Place and Well-Being (Harvard University Press 2009) and The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions (Holt, MacMillan 2000) are highly readable, informative, and scientifically based inspirations for lay persons and professionals alike, seeking answers to the complexities and 21st century frontiers of stress, place, healing, and wellness.
- Healing Spaces was recognized by the President of the American Institute of Architects as an inspiration for launching the AIA’s Design and Health Initiative.
- Her upcoming book WELL at WORK: Creating Wellbeing in Any Workspace (Little, Brown Spark, Sept. 5, 2023) takes workplace wellbeing into the post-COVID era and shows how you can embed all seven domains of integrative health into any workspace.
Television and Radio Shows:
- In 2009, with Emmy Award winning Resolution Pictures, Dr. Sternberg created and hosted a PBS Television special based on her books: The Science of Healing.
- Dr. Sternberg is frequently featured on television, radio, podcasts and print media including Television: CBS 60 Minutes Overtime, CNN, National Geographic, PBS, AZPM. During COVID (spring 2020) she presented 4 Public Service Announcements on AZPM on lowering stress, making your stress response work for you, making your home a healing space, and the seven domains of integrative medicine. Radio: Australian Broadcasting Corporation, BBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, NPR‘s Krista Tippett “Speaking of Faith” and “On Being”, Kojo Nnamdi, Diane Rehm, Terry Gross. Print: Washington Post, Washingtonian, Forbes Magazine, New York Magazine, Prevention Magazine, Oprah Magazine, Redbook, Shape, Tucson Lifestyles, BizTucson, Arizona Daily Star and others.